Oenothera - Evening Primrose



There is a tall 'weed' that was growing behind our other plants in the main garden.   I noticed the other evening that the weed had yellow flowers blooming that I had not seen there before.  The plant itself was almost six feet tall and resembled the 'headknocker' weeds that grow here.  However, those plants do not have flowers like this.  

I took a piece off of one and brought it inside to put in a vase.  It sat all day with the flowers closed, although some parts of it had changed overnight.  Tonight, well after sunset, the snippet of flower was blooming with a larger flower than I had seen, even when I removed it from the plant.  It occurred to me that perhaps the plant was blooming at night?

So, what was this weed?

It is not a weed. 
It is a native evening primrose.  Of course it is blooming at night!
I have one other primrose in the pole garden, a low-growing pink one.

Now, I'll have to watch for the pods which will develop the seeds.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking Stone Soup

Hunting for Moonflower Pods

the Rule of Effort and Pain