Eat the elephant and then the octopus

 

 I have been taking these projects as 'eat the elephant', a little bit at a time, and making progress.  The one is a red octopus knit toy, and the other is an installment of tested recipes for the family cookbook.  I had planned to start onion seeds yesterday, but did finally get that halfway done today.  I'm still looking for the seed but it is going to take a minute to come across them again.  The pan is ready to go and I have a jug of water and a window waiting for it.


 

Herbed butter crackers for the cookbook.  I scanned three or four different recipes looking to see if I could job my memory about the crackers I used to roll out more than a decade ago.  Wrote down the info off of one recipe that seemed 'almost' right and changed it to include baking powder.  But, I had the instinct that one of the ingredients used to also be cream of tartar.  I didn't have any, so made it without.  I'll see if these are too hard without it, but it will be something to pick up before trying a second batch.  The little horse cookie cutter is something I went looking for in our collection.  I think I remember a glass shot glass worked really well for making round crackers.


Parchment paper is key - Mark said 'you're going to cook those on wax paper?'  I said er.. no, parchment paper.  I pulled them out of the oven just as a tiny bit of brown started to form on top, turned them all over and let them sit on the hot pan for about five minutes.  They taste really good, but the hardness issue will see if they remain 'cheese or jelly' crackers or if they are 'dip in soup'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking Stone Soup

Hunting for Moonflower Pods

the Rule of Effort and Pain