Hunting for Moonflower Pods

 

Our Moonflowers last year were a sight to see, being nearly as large as the palm of my hand, and having a beautiful fragrance.  I had to wait for the pods to dry, but since I had forgotten to tie a little colorful piece of yarn near the big flowers (last year was a bit of a blur, for many reasons), the pods were a little hard to find this year! 


 

This is what I was looking for, hard pecan shaped pods that contain seeds that resemble spanish peanuts. 

.

And here is what I was hunting for the brown pods in, this tangle of brown vines.  It is a little like a needle in a haystack without the little bits of yarn.  But I managed to find enough to replant, and maybe if I get some more time I will go out there and cut the entire vine down to bring to the compost pile.  The pods are actually quite a bit easier to find by touch, as their shells are a distinct difference from both the vine and the dead dried leaves.

A little bit of work and you can keep an heirloom alive - the same seeds year after year until you get something that is unique to your own farm. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking Stone Soup

the Rule of Effort and Pain