Getting it done bit by bit

 It's like that training montage from Rocky - I carry water and dirt in five gallon buckets - one of each, uphill... I hack at the ground with a hoe-axe to make holes to fill with potting soil. I carry and plant each item from the garden center in it's chosen position. I walk the dogs to Yellow Hill, and look at the roses, and see the sun beginning to slip behind the trees. I grab one more jar of water for the Lower Salmon River squash, now nestled in the front bed. We've rearranged the bricks there into a pretty formation that doesn't block the footpath.. it deserves a photo in the light soon. I take one more look at the new lily that has bloomed and bring Charlotte in to flop down on the floor and do laundry (her one, me the other). More postal route tomorrow, and I am thinking of the massive amount of rambling pink roses I saw growing wild in a fenceline there.. and wondering how they got there, when, and who.

I'm getting it done, bit by bit, when I can.  Sometimes, because of my muscles, I do much more than I really should and will just have to pay for it later.  I push too much sometimes, but okay, look you can SEE the progress.  I like that.  I know it will pay off.  Every year I mix the soils and every year it is still looking like clay... but the things do grow.

I forgot to water the cherry tomatoes I had bought  - they were in the center of hte tray and missed the initial watering when I came home from the garden center.  If they perk up, I'll plant them tomorrow evening.  I realized that two of what I thought were cucumber plants were an unidentified type of squash.  Only one of the pots I grabbed at that table was actually a cucumber.  I wasn't looking closely then, or since - and it was only when tipping them out of the pots into the holes I had hacked into the ground that the smell of the dislodged root balls wafted 'wrong' on the first two... no, that's squash!  Just like a zucchini or summer squash blossom!  And the third, well, that smelled like a cucumber. Then I looked at all three of them closely and saw my mistake.  Hope planting them all together  like that they don't fight much *heh*  I have some more cucumber seeds to plant, as well.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking Stone Soup

Hunting for Moonflower Pods

the Rule of Effort and Pain