Onions and Copper

 

For posterity - I crave odd foods often, and I think it is the only way my body can communicate some of the things I don't know that it needs. Looked up tonight the chemistry of cooking onions in butter - cooking destroys some antioxidants but keeps some of the vitamin B6 and the vitamin K. More importantly, it also helps combine the copper and magnesium into more fat-soluble versions that can be used by the body better. The same copper / lysine combination is present in olives and avocados (without cooking), which are also cravings. Explains a lot of why I freak Mark out with the 'lethal doses' of garlic and onions I put into the foods I eat - so much that he takes one look and says 'Err.. I'm going away now, tell me if you survive.' I dump on black pepper and even cayenne pepper so thick sometimes he has just gotten used to that and even cooks my hamburger meat with about a 1/4 inch of black pepper on top. Last year I found out about curry, turmeric and black pepper having complementary anti-inflammatory compounds released by cooking in fats, as well... and anthrocyanins from blueberries, tomato, red onions and chili peppers helping with migraine and muscle pains.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking Stone Soup

Hunting for Moonflower Pods

the Rule of Effort and Pain